This is a question we hear all the time. What are the things you need to consider when trying to figure out how large a rug you should consider? I know I had those questions the first time I started looking at rugs for my home. Let me put you at ease, it is easier than you think.
Hand-knotted rugs come in quite a variety of sizes and so it can be daunting to know exactly what size rug to choose for the different rooms in our home. Let’s talk about living rooms to get us started. Future posts will look into kitchens, dining rooms and bedrooms.
We had the opportunity to stage rugs in a Landmark Custom Home. These homes are the perfect setting for our gorgeous heirloom-quality rugs. Take a look at the different types and sizes of rugs that we used in the same living room to show you the many varied options you have when selecting a rug for your living room.
There really is no great secret or science behind finding the right size rug for your living room. Let me recap the questions we ask ourselves:
- Do I want furniture sitting on the rug or off the rug?
- How much floor do I want showing around the rug?
- Do I need to keep the rug from doorways or can the rug function as part of the walkway?
- Do I want to use the rug (especially with open floor plans) to create individual living spaces?
- And the most important question to ask is as always “Do I love the look?”.
Bring your room measurements along when visiting one of our year-round Rug Rooms or coming to a Rug Event. Pictures are always helpful as well to give us a sense of your room layout to best guide you in selecting the perfect rug for your home.
Stay tuned for more posts on different types of rooms and the challenges these bring to selecting a rug.